My man is 13 years older than me.
But here’s the real deal: I’ve always dated older men.
In high school, I was a freshman and he was a junior. I was a sophomore and he was a freshman in college.
In college, he was 28!
After I graduated college, he was in his late 30s.
In my later 20s, they would be in their early 40s.
And now at the ripe old age of 31, he is 44.
For a while, I tried to date men my age. But it never lasted very long and it can be summed up in one word:
M A T U R I T Y
And boys my age simply didn’t have it. (Looking to rope your own Cowboy? Check out my programs page to Manifest Love.)
Yes, there are pros and cons to dating men my age or not my age and I’d like to run them by you so you can decide for yourself if dipping into the silver foxes dating pool is something that you’d like to experience. 🙂
5 Reasons Why Dating Older Men is a Great Thing to Do
1. They have money. And I don’t mean this in a superficial way. But I simply mean that they don’t stress out over having to buy things. Like food or toilet paper. This usually means they are financially responsible and own their own house and a car that doesn’t breakdown every other time they pick you up for a date.
2. They are gentlemenly. Ok, not all of them. But at least the ones I have dated understand the old-fashioned way of treating a lady like a lady. He opens my door. He offers me his jacket when I’m cold. He gets me a glass of water when I’m thirsty instead of saying ‘go get it yourself.’ You get the idea. It’s nice to be treated like a queen. (Speaking of which. I suggest you check my free how-to guide called Land Prince Charming. It worked for me. It can work for you, too!)
3. Older men are better lovers. Truly. They last longer and know how to appreciate the female body. They are ‘givers’ more than they are ‘receivers’ and they are ‘experienced’ in the land of the female curves, hills and valleys.
4. They have purpose and drive. Older men usually are past the ‘play’ phase in life where they are stumbling in and out of bars with zero direction in life. Instead, they have grown up and have figured out what they want to do with their lives and are usually going out there and ‘getting it’ which is extremely sexy.
5. They are mature. Wait, did I say that already? It bears repeating. Older men are actually grown up. And they know what they want out of life. They understand how to treat women (especially their lovers and mothers). They don’t play games (usually). Oh and get this, it takes men a whole lot longer to mature than us women, wouldn’t you agree?
5 Reasons Why Dating Older Men Can Be Really F***ing Challenging
1. Sometimes they can get all ‘I’m older than you so I have more life experience and I’ve been through this already‘ type of shit and it drives you insane! I get it. You’re older. But it does not equate with wiser. And guess what? Sometimes we need to go through our own shit in order to ‘figure it out.’
2. Many older men have been married or have kids and aren’t interested in doing that again. Make sure you get clear on what YOU want and ask him what HE wants before diving in.
3. A lot of them would rather stay at home and work on the house or play with their cars (like my guy) instead of going out to meet friends, have drinks and explore. #getsOld
4. You get annoyed with all his friends saying things like “What? You’re only _____? I could be your mother!” or “Robbing the cradle, huh man? Good for you!” Or even worse, when he mother says “She’s too young for you. She’s got too much energy. She’ll end up leaving you.” #hurtful #SheReallySaidThat
5. His daughter/son is only a couple years younger than you and/or his parents are your grandparents age! That’s hard on the ego. But if you can look past it, it’s not really a big deal. Humans are humans and I promise you, there are weirder situations out there. For example, my last boyfriend was a year older than my step-mother! It’s not that he was THAT much older. It was that he was older and my stepmom is a decade younger than my father. Weird. But, whatever.
A long time ago, I decided that men took about 10 additional years to mature to ‘adult age’ than us women did. So as long as I was dating a decade older, I’d be dating my equal.
Call me egotistical but it’s true. And sadly, sometimes the men in their 40s that I dated still didn’t have their shit together.
Turns out, age isn’t everything.
What do YOU think? Have any thoughts/feelings/experience on the subject? Comment below and make sure to share the love on Facebook!